The decision to file for bankruptcy can be a major life-altering moment. The stress and upheaval it can create to your life make the process even more challenging. Doing it without the aid of a bankruptcy lawyer well-versed and experienced in the field can even be more difficult. This is why it is best to start with the help of an attorney to minimize the chances of the court rejecting your case. You can look for good bankruptcy lawyers in Sacramento area to guide and advice you throughout the process.
Things to Look for in Lawyers in Sacramento CA
- Bankruptcy is a problem that you need resolved with the help of a fine bankruptcy attorney who can offer the best aid to your case. The search for good bankruptcy lawyers in Sacramento does not have to be a long and tedious process. But neither does it have to be done without doing your homework first. Before you choose the right attorney for you, make sure that you spend time looking into what makes an excellent bankruptcy lawyer.Established law firm – The size of the law firm may not matter to you that much, but it would help to know if your potential lawyer comes from an established one. A law firm with extensive experience and high level of professionalism when it comes to bankruptcy law would be an advantage.
- Experience – Lawyers who specialize in this field of expertise tend to have more experience than other types of lawyers who focus on different or several areas. You can research more about your potential lawyers by checking out their law firms’ websites for related information. Look into how long the lawyers have been practicing bankruptcy law as this can give you a fairly good idea of how extensive the experience would be.
- Licensed and with good reputation – State and local bar associations usually keep a list of practicing lawyers by area as well as those who have been disciplined at some point in time.
- Method of charging - Bankruptcy lawyers in Sacramento California may have different methods of charging their clients. Before you retain the services of one, make sure that you pick a Sacramento bankruptcy attorney who offers payment arrangement best suited to your requirements and budget. It helps to discuss early on if you prefer flat fees or hourly charges while working on your case.
- Preferably a member of NACBA – Membership to the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA) is a plush when you are searching for bankruptcy lawyers Sacramento has in its midst. The organization has a good reputation, which usually extends to its member lawyers.
- Provide value for money – Money may be a big issue considering the nature of the case you need to have resolved. This is why you need to retain the services of the best lawyer who offers the best value for money. An attorney’s fees do not come cheap so you should be clear about what you can expect from the services you will be paying for. Make sure that you are clear with the details of the representation agreement so as to avoid financial-related problems later on.
- Reasonable workload – It is to be expected for highly capable Sacramento bankruptcy lawyer to manage multiple cases. The demand for good bankruptcy lawyers remains high given the increasing number of cases being field each year. However, you need to draw a personal line in choosing lawyers who may end up being overworked while handling your case. Set a realistic expectation of what you believe is a reasonable workload before you commit in retaining a potential lawyer’s services. The last thing you would want is to have your problem buried in piles of other clients’ cases.
- Reliable – You need a lawyer that you can rely on to handle the case in compliance to the laws. It is important that you can trust him to complete and file all the necessary paperwork on time. A good bankruptcy attorney will likewise be reliable in joining you on meetings with creditors as well as in representing you in court.
- Stays updated with code changes – Congress’ enactment of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act in 2005 ushered some changes to the laws. Even if your case does may not be affected by the reforms, it still helps to know that the lawyer you pick has knowledge and experience on these changes.
- The right match – Some of the bankruptcy lawyers in Sacramento you find may have limited their respective practices to specific areas of bankruptcy law. To help you choose the right one, take the time to search for an attorney whose experience and expertise is more focused on the type of case you have.